Friday, January 23, 2009

He was the King

Well, I did it again. I missed Elvis Presley's birthday, which was January 8th. Actually I'm more of a Beatles girl, but I did go to an Elvis Concert. Once I told this to a friend, and she literally said, "You did not!". Well, I did so. It was in Ames in the early 70's, and my sister and I were not too excited about it. Get this - Elvis had a comedian open for him. Just like Vegas. Unfortunately we did not see slim Elvis, we saw barely-moving-Elvis, who wandered on stage to the strains of Also Sprach Zarathustra. I have never before or since seen so many beehive hairdos. On women made of nothing but sinew who were apparently held together by product. So I have reason to remember Elvis' birthday. Celebrate it late by checking out a few tunes:

Can't help falling in love the Hollywood hits /
by Presley, Elvis, 1935-1977., Jordanaires (Musical group)

The essential Elvis Presley
by Presley, Elvis, 1935-1977.

Great country songs
by Presley, Elvis, 1935-1977.

Peace in the valley the complete gospel recordings /
by Presley, Elvis, 1935-1977.

No comments: