Monday, March 23, 2009

AViD Action

The Authors Visiting in Des Moines series is here (Yay!)and as usual the line-up is great. Lawrence Block is speaking Friday May 22nd, 7 PM at Hoyt Sherman Place. I read Hit and Run, one of his newest books, because I wanted to get a taste of his work. It didn't hurt when the reviews mentioned part of the book takes place in Des Moines. I always get a kick out of reading fiction that mentions where I live and this was no exception. Block got most of it right, but a Denny's appeared a couple times and I don't think there is a Denny's in Des Moines anymore. Sloppy research or wishful thinking? Hit and Run is the latest in a series about hit man John Keller and you might want to start at the beginning and work your way up. Dot, who is the 'sidekick character' - some of us will recognize it as the Eve Arden/Joan Cusack role - is especially entertaining. Here's the series, in order:

Hit man

Hit list

Hit parade

Hit and run

No comments: