Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Grey Hounds

I had lots of preconceptions about greyhounds. I thought they were all gray. I though they were small-to-medium sized. I thought they were thin all over. Then I saw one in Walgreens' parking lot a few weeks ago. This beauty was cream-and-caramel colored, big, and had a barrel chest you could fit an actual barrel into. I understand one can adopt dogs that have retired from their racing careers, which is nice. There's an organization in Iowa devoted to just this. Here's a link to their web site: Heartland Greyhound Association The Association explains that since racing greyhounds had such a regimented life, as a pet they will need special attention. Here are two books with more detail.

Adopting the racing greyhound

Retired racing greyhounds for dummies

No comments: