Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Locke Lost

With the return of Lost tonight I thought you might like a taste of philosopher John Locke's (1632-1704) work.  In "An Essay concerning Human Understanding", according to Masterpieces of world philosophy,  Locke reasoned that:  "At birth the mind is a blank tablet; no one is born with innate ideas.... All simple, uncompounded ideas come from experience; and the mind, by combining simple ideas, forms new complex ideas".  Clear anything up for you?  This book is a nice source when you just want the basics from a philosopher and don't want to read all their essays/books/grocery lists etc..  Although it means you may miss out on some simple ideas with which to form complex ideas.  I watch Lost.  I'm chockful of complex ideas.
Source:  Masterpieces of world philosophy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.