Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Poetry to Rhyme or not to Rhyme?

Rhyming poems.
Some are stirring, like Maya Angelou's Still I Rise:
You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Some are sweet, like Helen Steiner Rice's  A Mother’s Love Is a Haven In the Storms of Life:
A mother’s love is like an island
in life’s ocean vast and wide-
A peaceful, quiet shelter
from the restless, rising tide.

But I'm a fan of free verse  Here's part of my favorite poem, e. e. cummings' Buffalo Bill's Defunct:
Buffalo Bill's
defunct
           who used to
           ride a watersmooth-silver
                                                  stallion
and break onetwothreefourfive pigeonsjustlikethat

Isn't that just fun?  Happy Poetry Month!
More Poetry Than You Can Shake A Stick At

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite poems-the rest of it is:

Jesus

he was a handsome man

and what i want to know is

how do you like your blueeyed boy

Mister Death