Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Milton's Music

I happened to catch part of The Jack Benny Show the other night and Milton Berle was the guest. Which brings me to the actual topic of this post. I don't expect to recognize every song that has had a long run at the top of the Billboard charts. But really. I ran across a source claiming that Francis Craig's Near You, which later became Milton Berle's theme song, had a run of 17 weeks in 1947! Now apparently Billboard has used different counting systems over the years and if today's system was applied it would be closer to 12. Still, for months in 1947 Near You was a sensation.  Do you know anyone who can hum that?  Then again I can’t hum the number one pop song California Gurls either. Unless ..."I wish they all could be California girls" Hmm hmm hmmmm

Source:  USA Weekend 11/29-12/1 1991 p. 2

No comments: