Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fresh as a Lily

Lily Tomlin is one of my favorite comedians.  We used to play a record album of her act, sections of which  became part of our family repertoire.  Ahem:  an older couple has a long, repetitive discussion concerninng the merits of banana cake vs 'that choclit kind a cake'.  This is punctuated by their teenage daughter screaming 'Please stop talking about that caaaaake!'  Trust me, it's hysterical.  In the cake-free play The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe / by Jane Wagner Tomlin voices these rather eccentric concerns.
" I worry about reflective flea collars. Oh sure, drivers can see them glow in the dark.  But so can the fleas.".
" I have gained and lost the same ten pounds so many times over and over again my cellulite must have deja vu.".
" I worry whoever thought up the term 'quality control' thought if we didn't control it, it would get out of hand."
Someone has to puzzle out this stuff and I'm glad it is Lily.  She does it so well.

The search for signs of intelligent life in the universe / by Jane Wagner

No comments: