Monday, May 23, 2011

On Monday March 14th, 1949, the Eleanor Roosevelt raced through a whirlwind tour of Des Moines. Her schedule (deep breath): arrive in town at 3:30, broadcast on KRNT Radio at 4:30, dinner at the Des Moines club at 5:30, speak to an audience of over 4,000 people in the KRNT theater at 8:00, take the train for Chicago at 11:15. Boom!  The title of her speech: "The Successes and Failures of the United Nations".  I believe she would have been quite well-informed on this topic. Best part: Mrs. Roosevelt was interviewed by three students of Roosevelt High. These budding journalists were Janice Cowen, Harriet LaRue and Marilyn Meany.  I really don't know when she squeezed this in.  But can you imagine interviewing the legend that was ER while still in your teens? I'd be tempted to emblazon that on a plaque and wear it around my neck.  But that's just me.

Source:  Des Moines Tribune 3/14/1949 p.8
Des Moines Tribune 3/15/1949 p.4

No comments: